If you are reading this article, you want to know how to do a clean installation of Windows 8.1 on your Windows tablet without using USB OTG and a USB flash drive.
We will be using the Lenovo ThinkPad 8 for this article.
- First of all we need to grab a Windows 8.1 ISO file that matches your license key, grab it from:
– MSDN or TechNet
- Then, when downloaded, right-click the ISO file and then select ‘Mount’ to mount the ISO as a virtual DVD drive.
- Just run ‘setup.exe’ to start the installation process.
- Make sure your ThinkPad 8 is plugged in to charge.
- Now make sure you select to do a complete reset, discarding ‘keeping personal files’.
- It will take an 30-60min to complete.
- Then go to ‘Control Panel’ > ‘Administrative Tools’ > ‘Disk Cleanup’.
- There you will see a blue link at the bottom of the dialog or window saying ‘Clean up system files’. Just select all files in the list. You should be freeing up around 25GB – 26GB doing so. Which increased the free space from 14GB to 40GB on my ThinkPad 8 (64GB).
- Go to http://support.lenovo.com/ and download ‘ThinkVantage System Update’.
- Run ‘ThinkVantage System Update’, download and install all drivers.
Quite easy right? No need to grab an USB OTG adapter.
Possible problems you might encounter:
- You need enough free space before following this guide. The more the merrier.
Models this guide applies to:
- ThinkPad 8
- ThinkPad 10
- Well just basically anything running Windows 8 or later.